Questions for further study:
1. Read the story of the prophet Samuel’s rejection in 1 Samuel 8:1-9. When was the last time you felt rejection in your life? How did you handle it?
2. Why does God tell Samuel in verse 7 that the people have “rejected me as their king”? How does God sympathize with Samuel? Look at some other times in scripture when God/Jesus felt the sting of rejection: Isaiah 53:3, Psalm 118:22, John 1:11, John 15:18-19, and Matthew 27:46.
3. How was Samuel’s character was revealed in this crisis? What does Jesus teach about the way we should act towards those who reject us? Look at Matthew 5:38-48.
4. Prayer is an important first step when you feel rejected. Psalms 27:10, 34:17-19, and 142:1-5 are some great examples of how David cried out to God in times of rejection. What does God promise in return? (see Leviticus 26:11-13, Isaiah 49:15-16 and Joshua 1:5).
5. Paul understood rejection too (see 2 Timothy 4:16). Study Philippians 3:12 – 4:1. What was Paul’s attitude towards his past? Where were his eyes focused on? How can we find poise in times of rejection?