Questions for Further Study:
1. Read Paul’s charge to the church of Corinth in 1 Corinthians 9:24-27. What kind of “strict training” is Paul talking about? What is the race that he is running? What is the “prize” that Paul is racing for in 1 Corinthians 9:27 and Philippians 3:14?
2. Galatians 5:23 identifies self control as a fruit of the Spirit. What does John 15:4-5 teach about bearing fruit? How much is the fruit of self control evident in your life? What can you do to “grow” more self control?
3. What are some things that require discipline to master? Look at Hebrews 12:1-3. What does this passage say can trip us up in our race? Consider some hindrances in your life that you need to throw off today.
4. It’s not only addictions that require self control. What else does James 1:26 and 3:1-12 teach must be disciplined? If “no man can tame the tongue” (James 3:8) then where do we get the power for such discipline? Is personal growth a matter of having enough mental will power? (refer back to John 15:5 for the answer).
5. Reading the Bible, praying, serving others, going to church, sharing the Gospel and giving of our resources are just a few of the spiritual disciplines that train us to win this race. God also brings a different kind of “discipline” when we go through hardship. What does Hebrews 12:7-11 say this kind of discipline will produce in our lives?